Last week I had my 32 week appointment. From now on they will be weekly appointments.
On the ultrasound the babies looked great however... Baby A is still breech. This is a problem as he really needs to be head down in order for me to even try to deliver vaginally. Baby B is transverse but it doesn't really matter what position he is in. I can deliver him vaginally as long as Baby A is head down since he is closest to the cervix.
So...when I went to my doctor appointment after the ultrasound we talked about what our options are. Basically she said at this point there is a 95% chance that they are stuck where they are and aren't going to turn. They are just too big and run into one another so it doesn't happen very often. Although I have heard of a few cases of it happening as late as 36 weeks in a twin pregnancy. The babies are already both over 4 lbs so that would be a lot of baby to maneuver around in there. When I found out how big they were I thought "no wonder I am getting so uncomfortable! I have over 8 lbs of baby in there already!"
The doctor said that a C-section was inevitable with these babies. I am kind of bummed as I really wanted to avoid that. I heard that the recovery is harder, especially when you are trying to nurse and have to deal with recovering from a surgery. However, it is not the end of the world. I just try to keep telling myself that I really just want healthy babies so if that is what we need to do then I will do it.
However, since we are going to be having a C-section that also means these babies and myself might be more at risk and the Gibson City hospital might not be the best place for us to be. It would really stink if the babies got shipped off to Carle hospital 30 minutes away and I was stuck at Gibson City recovering from a C-section.
So, with this news Shad and I decided we better start looking into what it would cost to deliver at Carle. We called the financial aid office and it turns out that the last time I looked into the cost was when we were delivering 1 baby. Now that we have 2 babies coming, instead of only qualifying for 50% financial aid, we now qualify for 100% financial aid like we did with Ruby. Gibson City was offering us 90% so that is one of the reasons we went up there.
When we found this out we were so excited as Carle at 50% is still outrageous and more than we could afford. 100% is a huge tender mercy and we are so grateful that we qualify. Shad makes just a little under what the threshold is for 100%. Next year with his raise we may not qualify, but at least we qualify right now when we need it the most. I am really sad to leave Gibson City though as I LOVE Dr. Austman and her team. Their care is on such personal level compared to Carle. I know the nurses by name and I feel so comfortable with them. I was also really excited about delivering at a smaller hospital as that has always been a better experience for us. But ultimately I also wanted to have healthy babies and since Gibson City does not have a NICU we need to switch over to do what is right for the babies as well.
I feel so bad leaving Gibson City clinic as I did this exact thing with them when I had Ruby because we qualified for financial assistance with them as well. I knew it would be a hard thing for me so I asked him to come to my appointment with me today. I felt a little bit emotional about it as we told them our situation and what we had decided. They totally understood but I told Shad that I felt like I was breaking up with a good friend that I would never see again. They had discovered the twins and helped me this far along and I was very happy with the care that I received.
The nurse switched my records over today and I have an appointment with a PA at Carle on Monday afternoon and then another with the Dr. the following week. I had 3 doctors to choose from and I had only heard of the name of one of them but I couldn't remember where I had heard of him. When I looked up his picture I realized that he looked familiar. I think he was the one who ended up delivering Ruby because our Dr. was signing on a house that morning. So I guess Dr. Hennesay will be delivering the twins if all goes as planned. Although you never know what you are going to get when you go with Carle. It could be a doctor that you have never seen before.
Most likely the twins will go to the NICU because they have one there and they like to have them all checked out, but I am just glad that is an option now and hope they will come healthy and not have to be in there for very long.
Just a few more short weeks and we will meet these little boys. I am anxious to be done with the diabetes diet, although my doctor said that my blood sugar is very well controlled. I do try to do low carb most of the time, but I have had a few days where I cheat a little. I am really trying to see what I can and can not eat. It's interesting that there are some things like white bread, cookies, and candy that send my blood sugar skyrocketing and then other carbs like potatoes, wheat bread, and ice cream that don't do that much at all. It is still important that I eat carbs, just in small doses, so I am trying to stick to that, even though sometimes all I want is a cookie or candy.
| The twin nursing pillow Jennifer Jenson and Monica gave me. It is pretty amazing and huge. |
I haven't really gained any weight in the last month, but the babies have which is what we want I guess with my gestational diabetes. I guess the lack of weight gain is probably due to my diet. At first, I always felt hungry but now I am starting to learn what snacks I can eat to keep myself full in between meals. I'm kind of getting sick of salads though. I feel like I eat the same things over and over again.
Just a few more weeks. I keep telling myself "just keep swimming." The end is definitely in sight!


No comments:
Post a Comment