Friday, November 2, 2018

Halloween

Around here Halloween seems to last forever as we have lots of events going on. We started the weekend before Halloween at the ward trunk or treat. It was a good test to see how the kid's costumes would work out.

Since Gracie wanted to be a witch and Benny wanted to be lion we decided why not go for the Wizard of Oz theme with everyone else? I was able to find a brand new witch costume for Gracie and a cute little Dorothy costume for Ruby at the consignment sale. It fit Ruby perfectly and had all of the accessories including the bows, basket, and ruby red slippers. I bought Benny's lion costume on a classifieds page for $5. 

I had to make Jack a tin man costume which I thought would be an easy task as I looked at tutorials online. It ended up being more of a labor of love than I thought. I was glad that I didn't have to make any other costumes because his took enough time for 4 costumes. I think he really liked it though.

Haken, being the preteen that he is, refused to be the scarecrow. The day of the trunk or treat he came up with his own costume. Of course, he was his favorite Cubs player, Jake Arrietta. He doesn't play for the cubs anymore, but he still loves him. This is the night of the trunk or treat. Shad helped draw on his beard. I think I see a resemblance here:

I had to get a picture of his beard after he came home from trick or treating/ party with his friends. He did the beard on his own and he said "the more I started drawing it on the worse it got." We were laughing pretty hard about the way it looked.


The ward trunk or treat was a lot of fun. I didn't get many pictures as we were just trying to enjoy the time together...and I'm just too tired lately. 

The funniest thing about the night was Ruby's reaction to all of the face painting. She was absolutely terrified of all of the kids because they all had their faces painted. She kept saying "Haken scawee." In the car, we couldn't get her to remove her basket from her face.


She was also a little apprehensive to even stand by any of her siblings. We had to catch this picture really quick before she ran off. The kids got LOADS of candy at the trunk or treat. We had lots of chili at the cookoff and I didn't eat a single piece of candy or treats. I am trying to be really good. My blood sugar was still high that night, probably from the chili and cornbread.


The FHE before Halloween we carved pumpkins. I learned the hard way that I really should have bought Benny his own pumpkin too. Next year I will make sure we have one just for him. I just didn't want to be carving that many pumpkins! I think he still had fun though. Ruby just liked hanging out with everyone.




The pumpkin he got from the pumpkin patch a week earlier just didn't cut it.



Halloween wouldn't be complete with a lot of parties at school. 

Gracie's class. She is on the back row on the end of the left side.

Jack's class on Halloween. He is in the back row in the middle. The most adorable tin man.
I went to Jack's class Halloween party and helped. In one game he wrapped his friend as a mummy.


Jack was the cutest little tin man in the storybook parade



Gracie walked so fast I didn't get a picture of her on the storybook parade but I got a quick video. 




Halloween night was a success. The kids went around our neighborhood. Finn and Monica came with us. Haken was with his friends getting all of the big houses and hanging out. I love that the village of Mahomet limits trick or treating to the hours of 6-9pm. So much nicer as a parent, especially on a school night.

 It was a little bit chilly so we opted to put Ruby in the chicken costume that we had. She was the cutest little chicken I have ever seen. Benny decided to be a superhero and wear the new mask that grandma sent in the mail.



Ruby really got the hang of saying "trick or treat" at every house. She was always so polite and said "dant you." I think it was my favorite part of the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment