Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

I've decided that holidays become so much more fun when you have a child in school. The hype leading up to the holiday makes it so exciting for everyone. For preschool today Haken exchanged valentines at his preschool. Instead of buying valentine cards and candy I decided to try something different. Because he only has 10 kids in his class, it was easy to do something a little more special. I saw the idea of making homemade crayons on Our Best Bites and decided to try it since I already had everything to make them, including a box full of broken crayons, a silicone heart mold, and bags to put them in. They also provided a free printable tag so I hardly had to do anything to make them look cute. The tag says "Color your Heart out!" Haken LOVED making them and was so excited to give them to his friends today. I loved that they were free and something they would actually get to use for a while. Haken had a great time at preschool and came home with some really fun valentines from his friends.


I'm not a real big fan of gifts, flowers, or basically anything that you spend lots of money on for Valentine's day, it just seems like a waste to me. Shad knows this and gave me something he knew I would love. Because we have to eat anyway...Shad set up to take the kids to a babysitter and made me dinner at home. I helped a little bit, but he did the bulk of the cooking. The grocery store in town had a lobster/New York steak deal as well as salmon fillets on sale for Valentines. Shad opted for the steak and lobster and I did the salmon fillet. Shad had never cooked lobster before but found a few tricks on the internet. He also tried a new marinade for the salmon and a rub for the steak. It was all grilled to perfection and amazing! It was seriously better than anything we could have had at a restaurant and about 1/4 of the price. It was also great paired with our garlic-rosemary roasted potatoes (one of our favorite recipes) and broiled asparagus. It was absolutely perfect! My salmon was so moist and just fell apart! I love having a husband that loves to cook and try new things. It is one of our favorite activities to do together. I also appreciated him finding one of his students to babysit for free tonight. 




I have been wanting to try making coconut creme pie for a while because it is one of our most favorite desserts that we get when we go out. I found a recipe on the internet and made a few alterations (like using REAL whipped cream). It turned out so good and was so easy! It only took me like 20 minutes to make, even with a homemade pie crust. I think it is even better than the ones we have had at a restaurant. 


It was a perfect Valentine's Day at home. I am so glad that I married such a wonderful man who knows exactly what I want on Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment