
I think I would be ungrateful if I didn't share with everyone what my husband did for me during his Christmas break from school. I have been wanting a toy storage/bench in the back of my family room since we moved into this house over four years ago. Our family room is kind of an awkward long skinny room and the space hasn't been utilized in the best way. We have been using the back of the room as a toy room for Haken. However, in the past year it has started to get a little out of control with all of the toys that he has been acquiring. With all of the money I have been making doing curtains for people I decided that I wanted to makeover our family room. I mentioned the bench to Shad last week and I have to say that he got more into it than I thought he would. He drew precise plans on graph paper, researched the best wood, and took two whole days building me a bench that was truly professionally made ("Amish quality" as he says). It fits perfect in our little corner and has more than enough space for all of Haken's many toys. I am so glad that space is actually being utilized now. I can sit on the bench instead of the floor while I play with Haken (this really would have been helpful while I was pregnant, but at least it is done now.) I still need to cover the foam cushions and make a few pillows to add some color, but it will still be used until then. I thought about leaving it as a "built in" if we ever move, but after all of the work that he put into it, it will definitely be coming with us to our next home. Now we need to add beadboard to the walls, curtains in the windows, and pillows on the couches to make the room complete. I will have to post pictures again when the entire room is complete. I'm glad that I have a husband who is not only an artist, but is an up-and-coming carpenter as well.
Bench with the lovely green foam cushions. Don't worry, they will be covered soon.
The toy chest with a lid in the corner with tons of storage for all the sports toys Haken has.
Haken enjoyed the "male bonding" as well

He is so talented. I love it, and tell him to send one my way! haha Beadboards, wow!
ReplyDeletethat is very cool! good job you guys! I can't believe you've lived in a HOUSE for 4 years. oh someday we'll have a house!! haha thats what I've been saying a lot lately.
ReplyDeleteWow! That is awesome. I didn't know Shad was a carpenter. Oh, and I hope you don't mind my blog stalking. I found the link on your Facebook page. If you want to see our blog as well, just let me know and I can send you an invitation.
ReplyDelete