Friday, January 28, 2011

Tantrum


Today Haken got up at 6:00 AM. He usually gets up at 7:30 or 8:00, but lately he has seemed to wake up with the sun for some reason. I knew that since he got up so early he would probably go down for a nap today. He did, but woke up after only an hour (his naps usually range from 1 1/2 to 2 hours). He seemed happy for about 5 minutes after getting up until he decided he wanted some fruit snacks for a snack. I went to the pantry to get them for him and then came the tantrum... Since he has discovered that he can push the barstool anywhere in our kitchen and get things for himself he always wants to do everything himself. As I pulled the fruit snacks out he just burst out screaming and crying because he wanted to do it. At this point I decided that he didn't deserve the fruit snacks acting like this so....I ate them. (I know I'm mean) However, I did tell him that if he stopped crying and acting better he could have his own. I sent him to his room and he had a good cry but was too stubborn to quit crying and say he was sorry. Anyway....as I talked things out with him in his room and he apologized, I realized that he hasn't had a real tantrum in months. I honestly can't remember the last time that he acted up like this. I couldn't help but compare him to hormonal women...let me explain.... I have found with myself (hopefully I am like the average woman) that I have to have a good cry every few months. It is usually over something stupid that I'm not really that passionate about and usually directed at Shad (poor guy). I make something into a big deal that isn't and I just feel like I need to cry. I think that Haken was just having one of these moments. I think he was a little bit tired, but in the end he just needed to let out a little steam. I think I can relate....

2 comments:

  1. That's good that you are able to keep that perspective. Haken's a really good kid! Sometimes I have to take a step back and realize these moments won't last forever and it's all a learning process. My kids are far more good than the bad "moments" that come along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha He is a special kid and is wonderful to not have little tantrums. It makes me giggle inside imagining him throwing a tantrum.

    ReplyDelete