Tuesday, October 11, 2011

OCD or Genius?


This is the last thing that Haken did before he went to bed tonight. He made sure that I knew he was going to play with it in the morning so that I wouldn't clean it up. It is "all of the cars in the whole world" lined up to get a carwash. Just when I thought he couldn't think of anything else to line up, he did.


About a year and a half ago he became obsessed with lining things up. He lined up crayons, scrabble tiles, silverware, playing cards, letter magnets, Rummikub tiles, cookie cutters, basically anything that I had a lot of. I thought he had gotten over this phase since he kind of stopped doing it for a while...I was wrong. It seems like whenever football season starts he starts it back up again. He is constantly having all of his little game pieces make an interactive football game on the floor. Most of the time it is on the rug in my front room that has stripes making it look like a football field. The Rummikub tiles are the football players (he diligently counts out 11 players for each team), the magnet letters are usually the band and color guard during the half time show, and the scrabble pieces are the people in the stands (sitting on the stands from the Rummikub game). He came up with this all by himself! One day I was canning applesauce and he played this, by himself, for a solid 2 hours!


Just about ready to start one of his football games (see all the "people" lined up in the stands behind him) 

 Setting up for half time

The football players riding on a semi-truck in a parade to the football game. 


 The rest of these pictures were taken a year and half ago...not much has changed except for now the objects he lines up represent actual people and not just things. I love how his imagination has just exploded!







2 comments:

  1. Genius for sure, he shows no signs of any behavioral, or developmental issues to me! I've seen that already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit- it's pretty impressive. He is such a smart kid! Who knows what's going on in that little mind but my guess is he is experimenting with color, pattern, numbers and letters... way smart.

    ReplyDelete