Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Applesauce

This year I decided to try my hand at applesauce. My friend Janese offered me a whole bushel of apples, and of course I took them! We aren't real big applesauce eaters (except for Jack), but I do substitute applesauce for vegetable oil in recipes quite frequently and we do like to make fruit leather with applesauce and kool-aid, so I think that this applesauce will be well used. I'm not quite sure what apples they were, but I'm guessing Jonagold or gala (they were red). They were quite a bit tart so I had to add a little bit of sugar to sweeten them up. A bushel of apples gave me 15 jars (and a bit in the fridge). It wasn't as hard as I thought, mostly because I borrowed an apple peeler/corer/slicer. It made the process so much more manageable. 


Jack was quite the little helper. I think a lot of the apples ended up with bruises, but when you're making applesauce, it's all good!

2 comments:

  1. Looks familiar- we just did this 2 days ago. It can be a messy job, but it's always nice to look back at the finished product, though! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you did some. Next time use a food strainer....no peeling or coring. Quarter them and throw them in a pan. Super easy!

    ReplyDelete