I don’t normally go out with all five of my kids alone. In fact, I actually avoid going out by myself with even one or two kids. I try to do my shopping when I have a sitter or when Shad is home, or I just shop online. It isn’t because they behave terribly, they are actually really good in public. I more just enjoy shopping (even grocery shopping) alone and it is “me time.” I don’t have to worry about one of the kids asking for this or that, I can compare prices, and actually move through the store a lot faster without them. Then there’s the buckling in and out of car seats as we hop to different stores...don’t miss that at all when I’m out on my own.
Today was Jack’s quarterly endocrinologist appointment. The closest Endo is an hour and 20 mins away in Peoria so we make the trek over there 4 times a year. I usually try to schedule it during school hours and just pull him out and try to get sitters for the others because it is nice to have some alone time with him, but once a year I have to take them all with me so that the others can get their blood drawn for the trial net study. That day was today and this year it was a much better experience as they now only require a finger prick instead of a complete blood draw for the study. Not a single one cried and Ruby was even begging for it to be her turn. They said that she was the youngest one that they have done successfully so far using this new method. Everyone got their prizes and were all smiles when we left. Jack also had a healthy check up (although his A1C is back up to 8.8, but it is probably due to the unpredictability of the summer months routine).
As we were leaving there were some pharmaceutical sales people at the front desk. One of them said “well you’ve got your hands full,” then we talked about how I was going to have twins in December too. They were both very sweet explaining that one of them had 8 kids and the other had identical twin girls. My unusual amount of kids is always a great conversation starter.
After the doctor appointment we went to Wendy’s during the lunch rush. My kids were pretty well behaved except for the top of the lungs screaming by Benny as I was ordering. I swear three’s are way worse than two’s. I went back and forth on whether we should stick around Peoria and go to the children’s museum or not, but decided to go as the kids were under control once they had full bellies.
As we were walking out the door a man held the door open for me as I walked out holding the hands of the two little ones and said “well you’ve got your hands full.” Then I had my three others follow me out afterwards. I wonder if he could tell I was pregnant too. No wonder his eyes popped out of his head. 2-3 kids is pretty typical here in the Midwest. We are somewhat of a freak show with five going on seven.
We had a great day at the children’s museum and I’m glad that we decided to stay. I was very grateful to have Haken there to help even though he really just wanted to go home. Children’s museums aren’t really his thing anymore unless they have some older kids activities and this one was sparse in that area. I needed him for the extra hands and eyes to keep track of them all.
At the end of the day, I am reminded why I don’t do outings like this all of the time by myself. I am tired. I needed a bath with the jets on tonight because although at home I don’t feel like I “have my hands full” I think it becomes more apparent as I go places with them, it is physically draining, especially when pregnant. However, I made a promise to myself that if I was going to have a lot of kids we were still going to go do things together. I want to make sure that they have experiences and look back to remember that we made the effort to get out of the house.
I was recently listening to a Jim Gaffigan comedy routine where he was saying that people always say to him “you’ve got your hands full” when they see him with all of his kids and he compares it to someone walking up to another person in a wheelchair at a dance and saying “I’m sure you don’t get out and dance much.” It made me laugh because it truly is pointing out t don’t know what else to say. I’m sure I’ll come up with some kind of fun response but for now I just reply with “yep, and I’ve got two more coming.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment