Last night my father passed away. This week a year ago a tumor was removed and we found out he had terminal brain cancer. I missed his passing by only a few minutes. As I walked into the door of the room, I saw my father's body surrounded by those that he loved. He looked peaceful, free of pain, struggles, and his furrowed brow was finally relaxed. He was not there and yet he was. We spent a few hours afterwards with him and I think my dad's lighthearted nature was evident in the room as we talked about him.
As I came home with my mom and climbed into bed late last night I just kept thinking "now what?" What kind of a new reality are we about to experience as a family?
This morning I have found comfort in the words of Elder Cook:
"The “now what” in the face of death in this life and the “now what” in contemplation of life after death are at the heart of the questions of the soul that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ answers so beautifully in the Father’s plan of happiness."
I can't tell you how the next few days will go for my mom who lost her husband. I can't tell you how hard it may be to see my children seeing the lifeless body of a grandpa they loved so much. I can't tell you how many memories will come flooding back to me in the next few days and bring me to tears, but I do know that I don't have to worry too much about the "now what?" with my dad because of this:
11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection--Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.
Alma 40:11-12
It's ok for us to be sad, grieve, and think about those we love. Elder Nelson stated:
"We can’t fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life"
Loosing a loved one isn't easy for anyone, but I find comfort in the gospel of Jesus Christ and the words of His servants. Today I am grateful for the covenants my parents made, years before I was born, in the Lord's holy temple because of this:
"Loving relationships continue beyond the doors of death and judgment. Family ties endure because of sealings in the temple. Their importance cannot be overstated." Elder Nelson
THIS is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. THIS is the "now what?"


Bonnie, my heart aches for you and your family.I am at my computer in tears. I love your whole family so much, and I love that sweet wonderful dad of yours. I love this post. You are an amazing woman, Bon! I love your testimony and strength in the Gospel! I can't write anymore...my tears have fogged my vision. Love and prayers to you and your family! I'll look forward to seeing you soon. Much much love to you, dear cousin!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully expressed Bonnie. He was such a good man and his family is the proof.
ReplyDeleteWow! This touched my heart Bonnie. I can see in my mind your dad smiling down on you and your family He is pain free and in his Father's care. May you feel his love always.
ReplyDeleteOh Bonnie! I'll be praying for you, too! I'm sorry about your dad! He was so great!!! That was a beautiful post!
ReplyDelete