When I became a mom I knew it would be a 24 hour job. I was not surprised when I had to give up most all of my free time to take care of my kids and husband. I love it, despite the sacrifices I have had to make. Some of my hobbies and projects have taken a back burner, while others have really flourished since becoming a mom. Luckily most of my hobbies (cooking, sewing, organizing) tie in nicely with taking care of my family. However, I think every mom deserves a break from the most demanding job in the world. Because I live where I work, the only way to really take a break was to get away from it all. Here's a little background as to why I chose to vacation where I did...
My SIL Nicole and I developed a unique relationship when she came to live with us for a summer when Haken was a year old. Her husband was finishing up school and they were kind of in limbo for a few months until they moved to Arizona. That summer we became "Sister Wives" and did everything together. Yes, we did get frustrated with each other more than once but after that summer we became the best of friends. I guess you could say that our relationship "went through the fire." Living with someone for an extended period of time definitely tests your relationship and we came out better for it, so I guess that must mean it is going to last. I constantly think that maybe I married Shad for my sister in laws. They are all such amazing women and we get along so well.
So, after that background story, you will know why I booked a plane ticket to Arizona to spend a week with her free of kids (or at least the two that don't rely on my milk supply right now). Nicole and I had talked about visiting each other like this many times but it just didn't seem practical to me...until they started doing cheap flights to Arizona back in September. When I saw that you could fly down there for $120 roundtrip, I knew I had to make it a priority to go. I made a little money making curtains and decided it was now or never. I really second guessed myself a few times thinking about how selfish I would be doing this, but after a really hard day with the kids I pushed the "Book it" button and never looked back.
It was a great relaxing vacation. We didn't do much, or go anywhere, but we didn't have to. The fact is that I didn't have kids needing me every two seconds. It was a little refreshing not to hear "mommy" 100 times a day. Actually I did, but I wasn't the mommy, and that was the important part. I love my boys, and by the end of the week I was missing hearing their little voices saying "mommy," but the break was nice. It may not be something that I get to do all of the time but I am grateful for all of the people who did my job during the week (my friends, mom, and Shad) so that I could have a little "mommy vacation."
*It was also really nice to be able to give my little girl some undivided attention and be reminded what it is like to have just one child again.
| Waiting for our plane. She did awesome on the plane and won the hearts of every person on there. Can you blame them? |
| You wouldn't know that these two are only about 3 months apart |
| The girls |
I wasn't the greatest picture taker. I wish I would have gotten some of Nicole and I. My only excuse is that I was on vacation...I guess that included a vacation from photographer as well.
The last night I borrowed a car and made my way down to Tucson to visit my brother and SIL. They took us to an AMAZING crazy nice Mexican restaurant in downtown Tucson called "Cafe Poco Cosa". They have 12 different plates you can choose from that are different every night. If you want to be adventurous you can let the chef pic three entrees that go well together and be surprised. I decided to do that and I was not disappointed at all. Highly recommend this restaurant if you are every in that area. We also saw former senator Gabby Giffords eating while we were there. The plates looked too pretty to eat. I had to take a picture.
![]() |
| Megan's plate |
![]() |
| My plate |
We went back to their place, completely stuffed, and spent a nice evening laughing our heads off chatting. I sure do miss having them close to us all of the time. They felt bad that they didn't have a crib for Gracie to sleep in, but we made due with what they had, a trunk that Megan found at a yard sale (a.k.a Autie Megan's Pack-n-play). Megan thought I was kidding, but it worked out perfect for my little baby doll.
| I know she looks freaked out, but she was really just super tired. |
The entire week was fabulous! I came back rejuvenated and ready to take on my mommy role again. I would do it every year...although Shad says I should never leave them again. Maybe next time all of the SIL's can go a vacation together without any kids or responsibilities!







That sounds like so much fun. I went to Seattle with my sister when Lucas was only 8 months old (so of course he came too), and we had a great vacation. Yay!
ReplyDelete