Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gracie's blessing day

Gracie was given a name and a blessing by her daddy at church today. He said some great things especially about the great heritage of women that she comes from and the meaning of her name. I am always impressed by the composure that Shad has as he blesses our children. I am always falling apart on the bench. I think it is because I feel so blessed to have my worthy husband who is able to hold the priesthood and bless my children. I don't remember every little thing he says, but I remember the spirit that I feel as he gives each blessing. Every time it is another testimony to me that the gospel is true and the priesthood is real. 

Here are a few pictures from the day. I took these ones of Gracie as we were running out the door and didn't get any of anyone else, except for my grandma holding her afterwards. It was super crazy having all of Shad's family coming into town from Arizona to stay with us for the weekend. Enjoying their company was worth 100 pictures. Sometimes you just have to live in the moment. I am just glad that I have a few pictures to help me remember how completely perfect she looked. I may be biased, but I pretty much think she is the most beautiful baby in the world.

The dress she is wearing was my blessing dress when I was a baby. My mom made it for me. I replaced the fraying ribbons, added a few beads from my wedding dress, made a new slip, replaced the elastic in the sleeves, and made a few tucks to make it fit her (I was 2 1/2 months old when I was blessed, so it was quite big). I also made her a lace flower headband to match. My mom made a handkerchief bonnet that she will be able to use on her wedding day. The bracelet was given to me by my dear friend Ashley, and the ring on her finger (tied on by a ribbon on her wrist) was a 14k gold ring I wore on my blessing day. The afghan in the background was Shad's mother's who passed away right after we were married. All of our children have used it on their blessing day. 

Shad always talks about how it is "just" a blessing and not a saving ordinance. Although I know that is true, the day my children are blessed are some of my favorite days. It is a celebration of another one of God's children who made it here on this earth that I get to keep forever. I am grateful for each one of them and for a righteous husband who honors his priesthood.








1 comment:

  1. She is seriously beautiful Bonnie. I love all the meaningful things she wore for her blessing! I hope I get to meet her someday soon! :)

    ReplyDelete