Friday, March 18, 2011

The Philosopher



As everyone probably notices with their children, age three is a year full of questions. I swear Haken was always asking "why?" or "how come?" Honestly, after a while I started to get impatiently annoyed. Then, I would have to remind myself that he was just trying to figure out the world around him in this curious stage in his life. I say "was" because he is coming up on age 4 and I feel like he is starting to move out of this "questioning stage"...slowly... and answer his own questions. Lately he has started to tell me his theories on just about everything. Here are some of my favorite ones, that I can remember, although there are many, many more.

One fast Sunday we were talking about fasting. He said "I know why it's called fasting... because it makes Sunday go really fast" Then he said "Is there something called 'slowing'?" (Obviously he has never fasted before.)

We were riding in the car running errands in our sweet little town of Tremonton. He said "I know why it's called 'Tremonton'...because we have so many trees here!"

As we were walking on the sidewalk to the park: "Did you know that some people call cement concrete? They are really the same thing."

Then, the other night we were making "muddy buddies" for a treat after dinner and he said "mom, why are they called muddy buddies?" (Here is my theory on why) "because they stick to you like mud and become your buddy until you work them off." He thought that was a perfectly good explanation.

Seriously...what would we do without kids to keep us on our toes?! I would miss so much of the world around me. Thanks to my little philosopher, for opening up my eyes and helping me to think a bit deeper about everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment