Thursday, January 21, 2021

Two 2 year olds

 The boys are now over 2 years old and I have had thoughts haunting me lately about how I am going to forget everything about this stage that I have a love-hate relationship with. In a lot of ways I really just want to freeze them at this stage forever. Since I don't have any control over this I thought I should at least document it so that I can remember it myself.

Tenny




- Has been slow in talking, but the words I hear the most are "Stop it Chap." He is really good at any words that start with an "S" like "Show" or "Shoe" or "Sock."

- He is obsessed with screens. If you leave a phone, ipad, or laptop out and it is quiet you know that you will most likely find Tenny in a room handing out with it. He has figured out how to take pictures on devices without having to unlock them. If the device is unlocked already he is getting really good at swiping and can navigate his way into shows on Disney plus. A screen can entertain him for hours and he will watch entire movies on the TV without moving.

- He's usually the first one I hear yelling in the morning and after naps. He lets us all know when they are ready to get up. Most of the time we also hear jumping in their cribs with the yelling.

- When you say "Pew, you stink" he will hold his nose with his fingers.

- His huge smile, blue eyes, and blonde hair make him a little hard to resist, even when he is being naughty.

- He loves books and can usually sit through a few at a time. His favorite book is the Disney "cars" book with all of the different cars in it. He will look at that book for a long time.

- He is a pretty picky eater and really looks at the cues of others to decide if he likes something. However, he never turns down dessert. Ice cream and cookies are his favorite. He doesn't know very many baby signs, but he does know the "cookie" sign.

- He loves shoes, especially high heels that make noises on the wood floor. He often tap dances on the hard wood floor.

- If Chap is screaming, it usually because Tenny took something from him and then took off. Tenny does a great job of being sneaky but Chap gives it away.

- He loves having his back scratched. When he is having a freak out sometimes the only way I can get him to calm down is to give him his binky and blanket and have him sit on my lap with his back scratched. He just starts melting and can't sustain the screams.

- He loves anything with wheels. Trains, cars, bikes. I've found him trying to climb on the big kid bikes to ride them. He is also obsessed with driving the car. We have let him play in the car a few times and now every time we get in the car he freaks out when I put him in the car seat because he wants to drive the car instead. He always makes sure he buckles up before he starts driving. The night before we were supposed to leave on our family vacation to Florida he was playing in the van and turned the lights on. Needless to say, we had to jumpstart the battery the next day before leaving.




- He figured out how to climb out of the pack and play while we were on vacation in Florida but hasn't figured out the crib yet. His legs are a little too short and he isn't brave enough to make it that far down. While we were on vacation one night we had just put the boys to bed and come downstairs. Next thing we know we see Tenny sitting at the top of the stairs.

- He calls anyone "mom" that is taking care of him. I don't think I've ever heard him say "dad".

- He loves to draw and can hold a pencil the correct way already. The marks that he makes on the page are very intentional. We have to be careful about leaving notebooks or scriptures out though because he has been known to scribble throughout them. He also drew all over the kitchen bench one day. Luckily it was washable marker.




Chap



- He loves to strip off clothes. There were a few months (Nov-Dec 2020) that I couldn't keep his clothes on when he was sleeping. I started pinning his zipper pajamas and that fixed the nighttime but he was still stripping for naps every day. It was like every time I put him the crib it was a cue to start taking his clothes off. Tenny would just laugh and watch. I would come in with them giggling and Chap would be butt naked with his bedding all wet from his pee. Even dressing him in a onesie didn't help because he figured out how to climb out of it through the neck, or to pull his diaper off without even unbuttoning the onesie. The thing that broke it for good (hopefully) was going on vacation in Florida for a week. He didn't strip at all while we were there and hasn't since (cross your fingers). 


- One day I found  him stripped in his crib with poop all over his bed and on his hands. Let's hope he never does that again. It was not a fun cleanup. 

- He loves balls. In fact, I would say that was probably one of his first words besides mom. He has a pretty good throw too and will do it over and over again. 

- He has quite the high-pitched scream, but most of the time it is induced by Tenny stealing something. I don't think he is a screamer by nature.

- He is a really good eater once he tries something he generally likes it. He is super messy though. I am hopeful that we are through the food throwing stage. He was awful. I was mopping the floor every day because of him and I found food on the walls, curtains, and furniture. Since moving them to the table we have had less food throwing. If you are eating something he will sneak up next to you on the bench and back up into your lap. Then he will start smacking his lips. This means he is ready to try some of your food. If he has a bite, he will usually eat everything on your plate.


- He loves to put on socks and shoes. He is actually pretty proficient at putting on his own socks. I have found him with other family members unmatched socks that he found floating around the house on his feet.

- I've never had a kid that was so distructo. He tears up books, throws things, and opens containers that he isn't supposed to. He can unscrew just about any lid and loves to figure out how things work by taking them on and off. He doesn't do it mischieviously. I think he just gets bored and likes to explore. I'm pretty sure he was the one who got the laundry soap lid off and the cocoa powder. Although I would need a security camera to confirm.


- He is a super happy kid. He is very ticklish and has a contagious laugh. He doesn't like having his back scratched like Tenny because he is too ticklish and just giggles the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment